I tried BeReal, and this is what happened

Since its launch in 2020, the photo-sharing app has gained incredible popularity among college students. Its goal? Spontaneity, ruled under one photo-per-day principle, “without any staging”, its founders say. In other words, the app boasts itself as being the trademark of authenticity – or some sort of “anti-Instagram” platform.  

The photo-sharing app has, since its launch in 2020, gained massive popularity among college students. Source: Territory Influence.

So, how does it work? The concept is simple: BeReal notifies its 3 million users of the opportunity to a snapshot at an unpredictable time of the day. After they click on the alert, they have a couple of minutes to capture whatever they are doing, wherever they are. 

Once the photo is taken, BeRealers do not have to go back onto the social media app until the next day. Moreover, just like on WhatsApp, they must detain other users’ phone numbers in order to be able to add them as friends on the app.  

Clearly, BeReal tries to distance itself from other well-established, “classic” social media platforms by – somehow – pressuring its users to be more spontaneous, and real. Yet whilst this might ensure less bling and unnatural reactions, users can still take multiple photos – as long as it fits within the time frame – before posting the final one. 

So, how can one be truly authentic, then? I decided to download the now-infamous app and see for myself. 

Quick, I now have only 2 minutes to capture a BeReal! Source: How to Geek

“It’s BeReal time!” Two yellow triangles suddenly flash into my notification bar. The countdown is on: I now have exactly 2 minutes – no more – to capture a double shot with my front and selfie camera. 

Result: I click directly. Problem: I have nothing that interesting to capture. It’s Monday, the sky is grey, and I am sitting inside, working at my desk. In brief: nothing that nobody already knows or does.   

After a disappointing first try, I now find myself trying to think of ways to make my picture look cool. Quick, I must hurry! 

Unfortunately, I do not operate so well under pressure, and the best idea I come up with is placing my cup on top of my head (please, don’t ask). The cup falls whilst I am attempting to take a shot, resulting in a rather funny picture. The cup is broken – but it doesn’t matter, because I have managed to get THE BeReal of the day. 

This kind of situation – as peculiar as it seems – is far from being uncommon; as I am certain to not have been the only one who experienced this sudden pressure when the BeReal notification pops onto my screen. 

Many of us probably cheat during a BeReal, and decide to retake a picture multiple times in order to be sure it’s nice – or at least nicer. Besides, after discussing this with my friend circle, I found out that this wasn’t just an assumption. 

Users must take both a picture with the front camera and the selfie camera. Source: The New York Times.

Moreover, a recent study found that only 9% of BeRealers post the first photo they have taken on the app. In fact, the majority of them (almost 36%) make three attempts before finally publishing their photo. Even worse: the majority of users (almost 54%) simply prefer not to click on the notification right away so that they have time to prepare themselves and do something interesting for the photo.    

The concept of a social network remains the same here, no matter what its promise is. Of course – due to its principle – BeReal offers a touch of “real” among the sea of retouched photos on another social media app.  

Yet in essence, BeReal – just like any other social media platform – is about showcasing one’s life. And that’s not real, because these are tiny, insignificant fractions of someone’s day.  

In the meantime, downloads for BeReal have exploded to 350% since the beginning of the year – and it has been reported that it is now valued to a whopping 600 million dollars. A very real value, this time. 

You may also like...