Introduction – Julia

Hi I’m Julia,

Personally, I have always been interested in race, gender and class studies and although throughout my uni experience so far I have tried to take modules which are out of my comfort zone such as those heavily focussed on politics and war, I never found myself enjoying them. I have lived in Scotland my whole life but my family is Polish and although I’m lucky enough to have quite a liberal family, it has always fascinated me how different attitudes towards gender, sexuality and race are in different parts of the world and countries such as Poland. This doesn’t ofcourse speak for an entire country, but it amazes me that such contrasts even exist.

Therefore, I would love to narrow my research on the beginnings of the civil rights movement and trying to find the most convincing catalyst for the movement or look into extracts made by women during the late 18th to early 19th century to see why feminism was born and what it was exactly that made women envision a different future for themselves and other women. This ofcourse might change completely but its a rough idea.