3: Final Reflection Post – Ross Farmer

1. a) What have been the major obstacles you have faced in putting a research project together?

Quite a significant obstacle that has affected my research was gaining access to certain crucial secondary sources. Although I was available to obtain the vast majority of secondary material myself, specific books and articles which directly pertain to my research topic were either not accessible digitally or through the university library. Finding material to assist in putting a medieval research project that was accessible and instructive was often difficult (Most of materials provided in the module related and aided primarily with modern history).

1. b) What strategies have you adopted to overcome these obstacles?

Thanks to the assistance of my supervisor, I was able to source PhD theses that the missing secondary works were based upon. My supervisor was also able to provide certain key articles that he had access to, which have been fruitful in my research. He was able to help me understand on how to approach a medieval research project, answering my questions and providing material that would assist in developing a better understanding of the theory. Outside the help of my supervisor, I would attempt to search for equivalent, or supplemental articles or books that might an alternative which would suffice in place of the original. Locating academic reviews of these inaccessible material also provided insight on the usefulness and strengths/weaknesses of them.

1. c) What has this taught you about approaching your dissertation?

Whilst there are numerous online and digital resources available, not everything that would be useful and required for my dissertation was. Ultimately I needed to be creative in order to source as much research material and content that might be of interest for my dissertation. Online repositories such as the Internet Archive and MEMSO have ensured I have all the primary source evidence and research necessary to carry out my dissertation (If restrictions on archive and library visits are not lifted). I have also been given a lot more thought into the methodological approaches that I could utilise in my dissertation. Even though my dissertation covers a medieval topic, I can still consider a number of different methodologies to approach my research; if there is sufficient evidence to use them. Finally, the emphasis on starting as early as possible in gather sources, constructing a bibliography, evaluating methodological approaches has ensured I have construction a strong framework and foundation in order to easily begin my dissertation over the summer.

1. d) Which aspects of the 9X6 module have been the most useful in helping you get your project ready to start?

Practical and previous examples of the methodology paper, the dissertation proposal, and a completed dissertation have been extremely fruitful and insightful. These were incredibly helpful in developing approaches and plans for my project, and critically evaluating previous work was useful in obtaining a better understanding of what a dissertation project requires to be successful. In additional to course material, meetings and discussions with my supervisor have been extremely useful in building my project up. Their advice, expertise, and guidance have built up my confidence in my topic, and has prepped me to begin undertaking my dissertation research.

Overall, I am grateful and happy that I had taken this module. Thanks to the work of the module co-ordinator and other staff members, I feel confident in undertaking my dissertation; equipped with the material, knowledge, and skills to tackle the research and develop an approach to structure and write my findings.