Blog Post

What have been the major obstacles you have faced in putting a research project together?

One of the major obstacles I had was underestimating the importance of primary sources for the dissertation, thus one of the initial topics I would have liked to focus on would have required me to speak a different language. Speaking only English, this seemed like it would confine my topic to British history. Additionally, I feel like I was extremely overwhelmed in the first few weeks of this module, particularly coming up to the first assignment.

What strategies have you adopted to overcome these obstacles?

For the first obstacle, I found talking to other tutors about other possible topics which gave me ideas on other topics that would be feasible, especially with my supervisor who gave me good suggestions. For the second obstacle I feel like I am still a bit overwhelmed with this but talking to other students I am not alone. I think that I have a better understanding and not as overwhelmed as I was at the start of the module, with the help of an enthusiastic tutor and engaging seminars, this has definitely helped.

What has this taught you about approaching your dissertation?

This has taught me to set self-deadlines and form a detailed plan for the dissertation. This is something I will hopefully work on at the start of summer to ensure I am meeting certain deadlines for myself. Also, planning for the dissertation will ensure I am meeting deadlines and ensuring I keep focus. Also, this has taught me to not dive headfirst into the dissertation, with the help of planning it will provide a practical strategy on how to approach the dissertation.

Which aspects of the 9X6 module have been the most useful in helping you get your project ready to start?

I feel like the assignment seminars have been the most helpful for preparing ourselves ready to start. Providing examples gives us an idea on how to approach the assignments and putting us into breakout rooms on Big Blue Button assessing examples has helped prepare for the assignments. I feel like the other seminars on methodology and historiographical traditions also helped for theory, although topics like postmodernism can be quite confusing. Also, starting early in choosing a supervisor and topic and having a dissertation module feel like it has prepared us well for advancing us into our final year, having spoke to other students in different universities, not all of them have a module similar to help prepare them.

Darren Morgan