Leah McCallum – Final Reflection

a) The main obstacle that I faced in putting together my research project was being able to narrow the topic down enough so that it wasn’t too broad, at the beginning I didn’t fully understand how difficult it was to come up with a dissertation topic and a question until the methodology paper and trying to find sources that would answer a narrowed down project topic.

b) One strategy that I have developed to overcome these obstacles would be talking to other students who are also struggling to narrow down their topic questions enough to be able to bounce ideas off of each other and help each other come to a narrowed down enough idea to take to our supervisors. Another strategy that I developed would be being in constant contact with my supervisor with my ideas of my topic ideas and sending him any sources that I have come across to make sure that they are credible to use in my dissertation.

c) This module has taught me to make sure I continue the reading and researching for this dissertation throughout the summer to ensure I am not falling behind at the beginning of next semester. This module has also taught me to ensure that I have plenty of access to primary sources online in the event of another lockdown and libraries being closed for access.

d) An aspect of the 9X6 module that has been the most useful in helping getting my project ready to start would be the different stages of the module being focussed on the beginning stages on a research project without making it too complicated to understand. Having tutors that are always available to help with any questions that I may have made it much easier to understand what I was being asked to do in terms of not only the dissertation but also the preparation work that was required.