David Freeman: Final Reflection

What have been the major obstacles you have faced in putting a research project together?

I have found the biggest issue is researching primary sources and gaining an understanding of the primary material available. This has been due to the limited timeframe allowed by a university module as well as the unfortunate issues of the ongoing lockdowns.

What strategies have you adopted to overcome these obstacles?

I found that familiarising myself with the secondary literature was certainly helpful before approaching primary sources. Alongside this, the reading available on methodologies helped me understand the theoretical principles I should apply to primary sources research.

What has this taught you about approaching your dissertation?

This module has helped in a variety of ways in preparing for the dissertation. The first way which comes to mind is that it has provided me with a solid foundation from which I can continue researching over the summer in order to have a understanding of the topic which will assist in writing the dissertation next year.

Which aspects of the 9X6 module have been the most useful in helping you get your project ready to start?

I have found the parts of this module were we worked in break-out rooms to evaluate or analyse pieces of text very useful. Especially looking at exemplars or sample texts of either our assignments or example dissertations. This has enabled me to consider the work as far more attainable than before. Seeing examples of a previous dissertation especially at this stage has helped me visualise the end goal of this research project.