Final Reflection

Reflection Post – Chloe Fergus
A) What have been the major obstacles you have faced in putting a research project together?
– The obvious major obstacle has been with libraries being shut due to Covid-19 restrictions as well as the Stirling library not holding the required books.
– Having to meet with tutors online has also been somewhat challenging due to technical difficulties but I also feel that in-person conversations offer more clarity and are more engaging.
– Having to somewhat narrow down my question and not stray from my topic or try and take on too much.

B) What strategies have you adopted to overcome these obstacles?
– I have been fortunate, and my assigned tutor sent me over some e-books. Due to libraries being closed and the university not stocking my required books, it has encouraged me to look wider for resources and I managed to obtain articles/ebooks online that I originally thought I would only be able to find in the national library.
– Regarding meeting with my tutor, I have been writing out questions prior to get the most out of online meetings as I can. Also, my tutor has been very friendly and approachable, and I have been able to email them with queries to aid in my understanding and make me feel more confident in approaching my proposal.
C) What has this taught you about approaching your dissertation?

– That organisation is key, and I need to have contingency plans in place in case I am unable to access the national library for material.
– That maintaining regular contact with my tutor is important as they can offer insights or advice I do not know about and that I should not worry about asking for help and in fact reach out for guidance as needed.

D) Which aspects of the 9X6 module have been the most useful in helping you get your project ready to start?
– The module as a whole has been useful in helping me get my dissertation project started and has made me feel more comfortable with the process. Being given rough dates for when the first chapter will be due, and the penultimate deadline is useful for me setting personal targets. Also, being able to look at previous students work has been helpful and seeing what merits a first result has been beneficial. Furthermore, submitting the annotated bibliography near the beginning of the semester has been useful in looking back upon and aided in the methodology paper and dissertation proposal as it already outlined a good base of knowledge on sources, therefore this was a very helpful task.