Stealth price increase!

Imagine buying your favourite potato chips and coming back home with a grin. But how do you feel when you find the pouch is half empty? When you recognise its content seems less than before though the price remains the same, it might be a ‘stealth price increase.’

A stealth price increase is a substantial price increase by reducing the content or size of a product while keeping the price of the product unchanged. It’s also called ‘Shrinkflation.’ Consumers are unlikely to notice if this occurs gradually over time. (Shrinkflation also makes people in the UK go mad. To learn more, watch the video from YouTube.) 

Konbini’s stealth price increase is perceived by customers as sharp practice. In recent years in Japan, this has been a frequent topic of conversation, mainly on the internet.

My friend B was indignant, showing me the attached photo.

Half-emptied Pringles, which has just been opened.

‘I just opened it. I have yet to eat a single piece. I usually buy these chips because I like the taste. However, this is so disappointing, and I really don’t want the seller to do this. At least they should shorten the tube if they want to reduce content…’

It’s no wonder that he wanted to say this–he even said he’d pay more to get the appropriate size of snacks that fills their container rather than being disappointed by getting a small portion.

Konbini products are frequently updated. It’s not unusual for ingredients, flavours, and volumes to change. The quantity might be reduced, or the price might increase at the time of renewal without the customer’s notice.

The feeling that the store deceived B caused understandable resentment.

Konbini might have preserved its good reputation among customers by increasing the price rather than decreasing the content.

#costofliving #livingcost #priceincrease #shrinkflation #konbini #japaneconomy