Final Reflection

My research project will assess women’s role in the Civil Rights Movement.

a) What have been the major obstacles you have faced in putting a research project together?
One of the major obstacles that I have faced when approaching this topic is finding original photographs. I am planning on using a lot of photographs for this topic, especially for the March on Washington in 1963 was widely publicised. However, even though it is a good media to use finding original negatives have been hard. Not for the lack of them but the accessibility to them.

b) What strategies have you adopted to overcome these obstacles?
To overcome this, I have been searching many different archival sources in America and I have started to contact some of them in order to see if they can help me. However, some of these people can’t help me. So I will have to find some other way to fix this obstacle.

c) What has this taught you about approaching your dissertation?
This has taught me that I need to think about how I will plan to proceed, this will obviously be a long process. But I am hopeful that I will be able to find the things I need for my dissertation. I also think moving forward I should keep in contact more with my supervisor and also my peers in order to stay motivated.

d) Which aspects of the 9X6 module have been the most useful in helping you get your project ready to start?
I found that putting students in contact with our supervisors from the beginning was extremely helpful. Also, the seminars that have been about the assignments are very clear and I also liked having the examples and grading them ourselves to see what was needed of us.